Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Tambourine in stores NOW!!



Did I mention that Tift Merritt’s new record Tambourine is out now? Great CD – the only dissenters seem to be those who fell so deeply in love with her first record that they just can’t get over it. I pretty much fall into that category, except I think Tambourine is hands-down the album of the year. There’s been some sniping about how she ditched her band, the excellent Carbines, to record with studio veterans like Mike Campbell and Don Heffington. I love The Carbines, but truthfully, I love the idea of Tift becoming the kind of artist that can make 10 more albums and not have to live out of a van for the rest of her life. I’ve seen it happen to too many of my favorite artists, and I think Tift Merritt is really at a critical juncture in her career. Frankly, if she can’t find an audience with this record, there’s little hope for the record industry or radio or civilization.

By the way, I have to give some criticism to Universal for slapping an FBI logo (seriously!) on both the back of the CD case and the CD itself. I freakin’ get it – I’m not allowed to distribute this music on the internet. Thanks for making me feel like a damned criminal every time I open the jewel case! Seriously, I hope the major labels all burn in hell. I know it’s a minor complaint, but what’s the point of designing graphics and printing them on the CD if you’re just gonna screw it up with some WARNING about how you, as the actual purchaser of the real CD, are gonna go to jail if you fuck with them? Lost Highway/Universal, you better do right by Tift – she’s given you one hell of a kickass album to promote. DO YOUR JOB!!!

As Steve Earle says on his new CD, The Revolution Starts… Now:

“Fuck the FCC,
Fuck the FBI,
Fuck the CIA,
Livin’ in the motherfuckin’ USA.”

Right on.

With that rant out of the way, kudos to everyone involved with the new Tift Merritt CD for a job very well done! It’s a great record. I absolutely cannot wait to see her on tour in the coming months. By the way, if you’re in North Carolina this weekend, and you really want to make me jealous, catch Tift at Cat’s Cradle in Carboro. Twenty bucks gets you into the show and her new CD! Also, Gary Louris of The Jayhawks is supposed to be her guest for the two dates, Friday and Saturday.
http://www.catscradle.com/schedule.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I'll be at Cat's Cradle on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hub

2:45 PM

 
Blogger David Kennedy said...

Killer, Hub. Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for always keeping us updated over at the Tift message board!

4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home