Thursday, May 05, 2005

Spoon - 'Gimme Fiction'

Who's the coolest? Merge Records is the coolest! I got my new Spoon CD in the mail yesterday, a full six days before the release date.

How is it? Well, it's Spoon so it's pretty great. Better than Kill the Moonlight? Hmmm... I'm withholding judgment for now. Kill the Moonlight didn't have to deal with the burden of expectations that weighs down any fair assessment of Gimme Fiction. My initial thoughts are that is starts ridiculously well but slips somewhat into a bit of an identity crisis during the second half. But it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that Britt Daniel wants to be Jeff Tweedy, when clearly he wants to be Ray Davies.

But who am I kidding? This is easily one of the best releases so far this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home