Friday, June 24, 2005

Emmylou Harris Tribute, Part 1

I'm gonna stop cussing about politicians for a while to focus on something truly worthwhile over the next couple of weeks. I'll be examining the recording career of Emmylou Harris, focusing on what I refer to as "Phase I" which begins with her debut solo record (Pieces of the Sky) in 1975 and is roughly capped in 1982 with her first live record (Last Date). All eight* of these records are unique and important (and available in first-rate re-issue CD editions). I've been on a 70's-era Emmylou bender lately, and I only recently completed the purchase of all of the re-issues (which include bonus tracks and are wonderfully re-mastered).

I generally apply the standard to any band or artist that the release of four truly great records qualifies as a remarkable career. Bear in mind that I only give the Rolling Stones the minimum four in that category (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers). Emmylou Harris is the only artist I can think of that obliterates my meager standard, and each of her first eight records (and quite a bit of her later work) could arguably qualify (that at least four qualify is indisputable - don't even try it!).

I am a huge fan of all of Harris' work, especially her more recent albums. But her work in the late 70's and early 80's was the pinnacle of her commercial success. The decline in her record sales has roughly coincided with the steady, steep decline of Country Music in general. In the age of Gretchen Wilson and Big & Rich, it's hard to imagine a time when Emmylou Harris was the reigning queen of Country radio and record sales.

Nowadays, Harris better embodies Gram Parsons' stated ideal of "cosmic American music," but she remains a touchstone for the ideals that represent the best that Country Music has to offer.

*NOTE: In examining these eight albums, I'll be skipping Emmylou's Christmas record from 1979 (Light Of The Stable, one of the best Christmas records you'll ever hear) and Evangeline (1981), which is long out of print and, as far as I know, never been issued on CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home