Monday, April 10, 2006

Allison Moorer - 'Hallelujah"

No Allison news to report today, but I thought I'd highlight some lyrics from her upcoming record Getting Somewhere (due June 13). Reading through the lyrics on the new album, it's striking how well these songs appear to respond to the songs from her last record The Duel. Whereas The Duel was a sometimes grueling meditation on the loss of faith, Getting Somewhere appears to be nearly universally focused on the redemption of that faith (in God, love, self, etc.). It's really nice to see this evolution. Of course, the real kicker is Allison's music so I can't wait to actually hear these songs (ya know, if Sugar Hill wants to toss some samples my way...).

Anyway, here's an example (reprinted entirely without permission, by the way):

HALLELUJAH (Track #3)

I ain’t good at letting go
I hold on ‘cause I guess I know
consequences come around to call
maybe I’m a little late
learning it’s alright to pay but
sometimes it’s either fly or fall
and wings are hard to find
thank God I found mine in time
hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah

what I brought is all I’ll keep
it ain’t a lot but it’s mine you see and
all that’s worth having anyway
the first step’s the toughest one
and even though it’s done
I’ve still got plenty left to take
and faith is hard to find
thank God I found mine in time
hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah


I dig that. Note the contrast between that and the opening lines of The Duel:
"I always toss it in when things get heavy..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home