Tuesday, June 06, 2006

'The Forgotten Arm' - Not Forgotten

This evening I was listening to Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm for the first time in maybe six months or so. Though I ranked it at Number Three on my Top Ten of 2005, I have to say it's really one of only a couple of selections from that list that I really still reach for. Along with the also-underrated Ryan Adams' Cold Roses (#6) and maybe Over The Rhine's Drunkard's Prayer (#4), The Forgotten Arm seems likely to stand the test of time where others have quickly faded.

I can't really put my finger on why I love it so much. I've recommended it to a number of folks, all of whom were pretty indifferent to it. Go figure. It is one of those albums that I think just has to land right in your sweet spot, and for whatever reason, The Forgotten Arm really hits mine. For some reason, Aimee Mann - a singer I'd always regarded as somewhat cold - just sounds suddenly so warm and inviting. Certainly part of the record's charm is how completely off guard it caught me. I've always liked Aimee Mann's work quite a bit, but I never expected to love this album quite this much.

I heartily recommend it, but keep in mind how well that has worked out. I guess maybe Aimee and I are destined to spend many late nights curled up together all by ourselves.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sort of see Allison, but Aimee? You're kind of disturbing me, and you're making the baby mad.

7:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home