Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Allison Moorer's 'Getting Somewhere' out today!!

June 13 has arrived, which means you can trot your happy ass down to your local record store and pick up Allison Moorer's latest masterstroke Getting Somehwere. The reviews fall into two predictable camps: those who loved The Duel but seriously do not like this record, and those who loved The Duel, love Getting Somewhere and probably just generally love Allison Moorer (hey, me too!).

In the interest of fair and balanced coverage, here is a negative review that is at least thoughtful in its assessment (though, again with the Jewel comparisons?!?). On the other hand, here is the review from PopMatters that I think better appreciates the significance of Allison's latest musical direction (though the 7/10 rating seems low based on the enthusiasm of the review).

What it boils down to for me, however - and this applies to any album by any artist - is does this record make me eager to here the next one? Missteps, sidesteps and outright embarrassments notwithstanding (few of which occur on Getting Somewhere in my estimation), does the record demonstrate the promise of future artistic growth for several albums to come? In that sense, Getting Somewhere is an unqualified success because I can't wait to hear where The Lady takes this new sound next.

You can read my original semi-review of the album here. I can't promise you that it's my last word on the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home